Cordcutting

Thank you for the advice. I am in no rush, especially after the money I just spent. I’ll probably do subwoofer only at some point first, but most likely wait for failure before doing the speakers.

Which Sub do you have? I’ve been leaning towards the 2000 or 3000 line. I love the looks of their cylinders, how they started really, but will probably get the PB.

1 Like

I have one of the cylinders from a few years back. I don’t remember off the top of my head the model number but damn this thing kicks you in the chest and is epically musical.

I have heard the PB 3000 and it is damn stellar and compared to even reasonably comparable offerings for other companies at much more cash, it is just incredible.

Lol.

My one and only tv is a 10 year old steaming pile of shit made by Insignia. The wife is funny about tv’s. You buy one and then you use it until it stops working. The word upgrade is not in her vocabulary. I bought this tv when I was pretty cash strapped thinking no way it would last more than 4 or 5 years and by then I would be able to afford something nice. Well…its still plugging along 10+ years later.

I have a 30 year old Pioneer receiver with a broken power button (VSX 505S) and a set of Cerwin Vega floor speakers (Series 38 Re) Also have a hundred disc changer that I can’t give away. Even Goodwill won’t take it.

The receiver is connected to my Direct tv box but I rarely use it. I get an audio echo if I use the receiver that makes everyone sound like they are tslking thru a box fan. I can turn the t.v. volume all the way down but then there is a tiny delay in hearing what the people on tv are saying. Its ok for live sports because you aren’t seeing the announcers mouths very often. But I rarely remember to turn it on nowadays.

Mostly the speakers are end tables now and the disc changer has been sitting in a corner of my bedroom for 10 years probably. But back in the day I could produce some serious neighbors window rattling sound.

3 Likes

This was my home theater and office a few years ago before a new tv and SVS cylinder. I was running a Pinnacle dual 12 inch sub here.

1 Like

Just now, Jo’s mom hit the cut button on her cords. She’s running with Roku and saving a hundred bucks a month.

That’s coming for us too.

We chickened out the last time our Dirsctv contract ran out.

But this time fer sure!!!

We already have the FireTV with Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions. Will probably try Youtube TV for live sports. Still debating that.

1 Like

No debate in my mind on YouTubeTV. It’s spectacular.

I meant debating getting any streaming service beyond Netflix and prime at all.

I work every other weekend so I can’t watch football those days anyway. So YTTV would be for me to watch local channels, 6-8 patriots games and 4 or 5 gamecocks games. The wife can do without. The NFL streams I know about aren’t usually horrible. Its not ideal but I could make do. College football streams are abysmal. So that might be an issue.

YTTV does have a lot of CFB, and with the free unlimited DVR, it might be worth it for you.

1 Like

Yeah that’s why we would get it. I’m just not sure its worth the expense to watch a handful of games.

I got it pretty much only for watching the Patriots. One of the great things about all these streaming services, and it requires thinking a little differently, is you only need to pay for them when you want to use them.

I subscribed to CBS All Access just to watch ST:Discovery and cancelled.
I currently have HULU on hold.

And when the Superbowl was over, I put YTTV on hold until July. I picked then for the Olympics, but now that is out, so I won’t reactivate until its time for NFL preseason.

1 Like

That is a pretty cool option.

YouTube has Nesn, for the Bruins.

3 Likes

Just wait until you find some better sources than YouTube for HDR. Disney plus has a bunch of Dolby Vision and Atmos stuff, but my favorite so far is that Attenborough Planet series on Netflix.

Though the best source for movies is UHD Blurays.

1 Like

I often wonder which type of service compresses their content more … cable, online streaming, or Bluray?

I mean, if they use lossless compression it doesn’t matter, because bitstream out = bitstream in.

I doubt they do in most cases, though, because lossless compression rates are bounded.

The best source is always the disc.

The different streaming services and cable and satellite use varying levels of compression, and I don’t think any of them are lossless nor delivered at the same bit rate that physical media provides.

1 Like

This TV is the holy fucking grail I’ve been looking for my whole life. Just wow!!

I rip all my Blu-rays to my hard drives lossless.

I just watched the new Star Wars and Aquaman from BD and OMG!!! This is the great one.

Also been watching crappy music videos from Pink Floyd and Tool and this thing just kills it.

Were star wars and aquaman 4k? If not, they can be even better. I watched both with hdr that first weekend.

1 Like

Yes, they absolutely were. :slight_smile:

Nice.

My only regret now is that I did not find somehow and someway to afford the 77". It would have just fit. Next time.

1 Like