Cordcutting

I will say one thing about getting my network stations over-the-air.

Those digital antenna ads that point out how cable companies compress a lot of picture quality out of their digital feeds are not lying. The color and clarity I get from watching the original over-the-air broadcasts are far superior to any cable feed I’ve ever paid for.

3 Likes

I’ve been over the air with a free Obama converter box for a few years camping and the picture quality is so much better than I expected.

Disney+ launched today. Anyone try it?

I wasn’t going to get it, but VZW is offering a free year of it, so I will install the app on my Shield tonight…

Gonna watch The Mandalorian tonight.

Is Disney+ releasing shows as a group or one a week?

I believe the Madalorian is just week 1.

Confirmed. Just installed.

1 Like

The Madalorian was pretty damn good. Interesting opening to a story, great special effects and a little tiny surprise at the end. :heart:

I watched as well. Had to spend a little time googling so I knew where in the timeline it took place, but it was good, with a high production value.

1 Like

Settling in to watch episode 2 in HDR. Kinda liking this Disney+.

Spoilerzzzz from episode 2

Summary

So if the Jawas are involved, does that mean Hellboy Brimley and his giant ridable sperm cells are on Tattooine?

Also someone with powerz shoukd split the manadalarorian discussion out to its own thread.

Just updating bit.

I put Hulu on suspension for awhile until I want to watch it again. Still using YouTubeTV for live networks.

A couple of pieces of recent news:

You can now disable the autoplay and autopreview features of Netflix. Its done per profile. Use a computer or web page on your phone to do it.

CBS and Viacom have merged once again, and plan to do a new streaming service with free and paid options. This will roll together CBS All Access, Paramount movies, Viacom owned cable channels, SHOWTIME, and Pluto TV. Oh, and this puts all Star Trek properties under a single ownership.

Speaking of PlutoTV, give it a try if you haven’t. Its free and offers like 100 live channels, plus a bunch of Viacom Channels (Nickelodeon, Comedy central, MTV, etc…)

2 Likes

So, I had an unexpected very expensive weekend. I had a TV fail. To be fair, this was my first HD TV in our master bedroom. 15 year old 42" Hitachi 1080i plasma set.

I thought about just getting a cheapo bedroom set to replace, but I hate cheaping out on electronics. So, this failure caused a trickle down effect. My current living room TV became the new bedroom TV. This is a 5 or 6 year old 55" Panasonic 1080p plasma. VT series and top of the line at the time. If you don’t know, Panasonic made the best plasmas for many years, and towards the end of plasma, it was pretty much only them and Pioneer.

Much like Beta vs VHS, the superior tech lost. Plasma, IMO, was much better than any LCD. LED backlit or not.

SO…I needed a new living room TV. What to do when you loath LCD? Get the only viable replacement for plasma. I now have a 65" LG OLED set. It is absolutely jaw dropping. I could not be more pleased.

After I had decided on this course though, I realized I was not going to be able to take advantage of 4k content with HDR and Dolby Vision with my 5 year old Onkyo AVR. Damn. So, I needed a new AVR as well.

I now own my first Yamaha electronic. And again, it is wonderful. Surpassed my expectations and my home theater never sounded better.

TV broke Friday night. I got everything I needed on Saturday and had it mostly set up late Saturday night. It was a long day. I spent most of Sunday drooling in front of the new setup.

Now I just need to find the money to pay for it all. :expressionless:

1 Like

I’ve owned may AVRs and TV’s over the years. My favorite AVRs were, in no particular order, A Harmon Kardon 4700? Cost $2299 but I got one for $600. Pretty good and had every possible feature back then including massive torroidal amps that I didn’t even use cause I paired it with 7 channels of Parasound amplification, so I basically used it as a preamp. Had Denon’s, Onkyo’s and Yamaha’s. All four brands were quality. I didn’t end up with a preference.

I got most of my stuff cheaply over the years cuz I was a dealer for many companies.

Bought a great cheap TCL 4K for my bedroom but now I’m in the market for a new OLED like you got. Great to hear it’s dazzling.

Congrats, enjoy and now get to work. :slight_smile:

Great stuff. Yeah, my favorite AVR for the time period was also an HK. Those amps were special. From what I’ve read, not so much anymore.

I looked the separates route, but decided not to for my use.

My Onkyo performed well (was a TX809), but it already has had a failed HDMI board, which apparently was common, though it was replaced under warranty. Still, it soured me on the brand a bit.

And now, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer are all under the same parent company. The only mainstream brands that aren’t are Sony and Yamaha. The Yamaha I got is from their upper line (Aventage), and it works and sounds very good, though I still need to learn a little more about it, and run calibration again. Yamaha seems to have a good rep for reliability,

YPAO seems to work well compared to Audyssey. I didn’t notice much difference except for an annoyance where is set all my speakers to ‘large’ with a 40mhz crossover. But that was easy enough to change.

HDR and Dolby Vision are a MUCH larger improvement than I ever expected. It is phenomenal. Now I have a new UHD Blu-ray player on the way so I can see more.

Wow, no kidding. I had an 809 that failed as well.

I’m moving soon to an apartment and there is no way I can have my sound set up there unfortunately but the new TV is definitely in the cards. I have settled on and LG OLED as well.

Just out of curiosity what are you running for speakers?

As the sales guy I spoke to said, “You date your AVR, but marry your speakers.”

They are next to be upgraded. Maybe next to fail and force an upgrade. One of the problems is I don’t know at what price point today I will hear a significant improvement.

They are mid-90s Henry Kloss Cambridge Soundworks (Tower 1, Centerstage, etc), before their Newton line came out. I’m running a 7.2 configuration with front height speakers.

1 Like

Nice. I’ve never heard them but have read great reviews over the years.

I have tried many different brands and styles a dealer and most were great, even the lower priced ones I chose at times.

My favorite is Paradigm but man are they expensive.

I finally settled on Axiom Audio with SVS subwoofers . Great freaking sound at a very reasonable price point.

I went with the M60s for the front and their matching center channel with in Eggshell finish but the M80s aren’t that much more expensive and Axiom has a complete no questions asked 30 day trial and return policy and great warranty support if you ever blow a driver…

Here are some reviews of my towers if you are interested:

Yeah, I already know my next subwoofers will be SVS. Probably one of the middle lines. Do you have any experience with their regular speakers? The Prime line seems to review well at a reasonable price.

But again, I have absolutely no basis of comparison with speakers any more, and how good my current ones sound compared to today’s. 25 years is a long time. I feel like new speakers could either be an immediate noticeable big upgrade, or I don’t notice much difference at all. If its the latter, I would just wait for them to dry out and fail. If they ever do.

Well, in my experience the speakers make the system but you already have some rally good ones.You may honestly not notice a huge upgrade in sound unless you go deep high end. Your speakers seem to be great and a good deal of speaker technology has only progressed small amounts in 25 years, really.

On the SVS Prime series. I know that they get great reviews and seem to be what would be an upgrade for you at a nice price point.

1 Like