Cordcutting

I saw The Rise Of Skywalker at an Imax with Jo. We just watched it again today and she said the Imax has nothing over your TV other than size.

This thing is stellar.

That’s what she said.

1 Like

OK clown. I’ve been running mostly stock settings and am ready to tweak this thing.

You said you came up with some good ones.

Care to share? :slight_smile:

So…here is the part I am unsure of, and that is how much the B series and the C series differ out of the box.

In general, for SDR content, I run ISF dark room.

For HDR movies, I run Cinema (NOT Cinema Home).

It took me a little to understand that there are different settings, on the same input, depending on what the content is. So play something normal, and then go and change your SDR settings while it is playing. And then, from the same source, play something in HDR (which includes HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision), and go in there again. Those are completely different settings now.

But a great place to start is here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled/settings

And then tweak after following that. The biggest thing I change to taste is the true motion settings. With plasma, I would always shut those completely off, but with OLED, it refreshes SO quickly, that there is sometimes stuttering. So I change TruMotion to ‘User’, and adjust the De-Blur and De-Judder sliders to about 5 or half way.

As you tweak, do not turn OLED backlight up to 100 for everything, especially SDR content.

That’s probably a good start, and then we can talk more. I am by no means an expert, but I try to learn what I can.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’ll try this stuff this afternoon and get back to you.

Okay…

So after the Superbowl, I put my YTTV on hold until the end of July - when the olympics were supposed to start, and then Preseason football.

Well.

I got an email yesterday from them. They added 8 stupid Viacom channels and are raising the price from $50/month to $65/month. This is unacceptable to me and I cancelled immediately. YTTV did well for me for streaming live Patriots games, but now I’ll be searching out cheaper alternatives.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

This force feeding of channels by the giants (Comcast, Time Warner, Disney and Viacom) was why people left cable in the first place. The streamers are being forced to follow suit. But unlike with cable, no one is locked in. You can vote immediately by cancelling.

1 Like

So, after some initial research, I will be giving Locast a go again.

If you don’t know, Locast is a nonprofit that is using FCC rules about being able to rebroadcast OTA channels. This rule was written before streaming existed. It would allow people to setup antennas to extend the range of their local OTA channels without charge, as long as you are a nonprofit.

Locast is interpreting this to also mean rebroadcasting as streaming. The big four networks have filed suit. So its future is uncertain.

Locast is free, but they have a nag for ‘donation’ for $5/month, which I will probably do to support them.

Come November, my free year of Disney+ expires. My backup plan is a bundle (shudder) of Hulu (which I already pay for), Hulu Live, Disney+, and ESPN, for around $60 a month all in.

1 Like

I also went with YouTube for sports (NESN Specifically).

I haven’t made up my mind what I want to do yet, seems like HULU, or sling are the options. Kinda waiting a month or 2 to see what they do price wise.

The other reason I’m not jumping is I am using the same subscription for home and vaca home and both kids are piggy backing, so it still seems to make sense for me.

Be careful with Sling. They don’t carry all of the locals.

I had Sling when I fist dropped cable and I had to use the antenna for the locals, which worked poorly.

I think I’m still keeping YTTV. I’m moving soon and Jo and I will be splitting 1 account so it still makes sense for us but I’d like to vote with my wallet and tell them hell no. They just have everything I’m looking for.

Ahh, that makes sense. I would have gotten an antennae years ago if I was sure it would work well. At my distance and topography, I think I would need to spend some serious coin to even have a chance.

I just realized another option for most games. $6 for CBS All Access includes live TV. So if I don’t like Locast, I may do that sooner. I had planned to when I was ready to watch Picard, or there was a new season of Discovery.

1 Like

Watching the games for the first time on my LG OLED through YTTV.

My god I love this TV.

Seriously breathes new life into everything.

And even at the added cost I keeping YTTV because it carries all the sports I watch and has the great DVR.

OK, I have Comcast Xfinity internet service and with it came a free streaming device and service called Flex. I didn’t want it but they pushed me to take it since was free and the Peacock NBC streaming network on it. I took It just it it to shut them up.

Now I get 3 times daily emails and texts pushing to activate it. I don’t need it, got a great smart TV and PC connected to it so I get everything I want.

What is Comcast on about here? I don’t get it.

On another note, YTTV has a great feature, for me anyway. They ask when you tune into a sporting event either live or recorded if you want to see the key plays leading up to live or for whole game if it’s recorded.

It’s really damn cool to tune into the Sox, B’s or C’s a bit late and catch up with the games so I can participate in game threads and stuff.

Like all the platforms, its about getting you in the ecosystem. Things are consolidating more and more, and they are all competing to be the one provider. This is why you can buy HBO on Hulu, or CBS All Access on Prime. They don’t want you leave leave their ecosystem, even if it means selling competitors content, and especially because they get a piece of the action.

This is also the reason why HBO Max and Peacock are current NOT available on Roku or FireTV.

These media giants are battling each other for control. TimeWarner wants to sell you HBO Max directly. Comcast wants to sell you Peakcock directly. Amazon and Roku want to re-sell and take a piece of the action.

The more things change, the more they get back to what they were. Bundling killed cable, driving people to streaming the individual options they wanted. Well, TimeWarner, CBS/Viacom, Disney, and Comcast/Universal have consolidated most of it between them. Bundles are back and consumers are getting forced to pay for things they never wanted, once again.

Shit, I had YTTV last year for $50 a month. All they did this year was add CBS/Viacom channels, that I had no interest in, and they are required to be a part of the base package. Now the price is $65 for that crap. Forced bundling is making a huge comeback. Consumer choice is eroding.

/end of rant and my 2 cents.

Oh, speaking of bundling…

I changed my Verizon Wireless plan today and now get the Disney Bundle for free as part of it (Disney+, ESPN+, and Hulu). New offer from VZW.

1 Like

Spoke to a friend of ours from back a while ago on the Planet on FB. He’s a Steelers fan so take it take it for what’s it worth. :rofl:

He is working for a streaming startup and said they are projecting that in a few years the bundling will go away. Had bunch of reasons why and that things will be mostly ala cart as most of us would prefer.

Another pretty interesting feature I just found last night on YTTV is that in the info on sports games , in the info, they have lists of the depth charts for the teams.

Pretty cool.

1 Like