College Football Thread

So, if the penalty happens at the ILL 16, they mark off the whole 15 to the ILL 1, but if it’s at the ILL 14, they only mark off half the distance to the ILL 7?

That sounds wrong, but okay.

Under 15 yards the penalty is a spot foul anyway. The penalty is only 15 yards if the foul was committed 15 yards or more from the LOS.

If it happens in the end zone they put it at the 2. I also believe that they won’t spot the ball inside the two on. DPI. So if the LOS was the 16 and the DPI was at the one, then it gets half the distance. Otherwise its a spot foul or they enforce all 15 yards

1 Like

If this Chase Garbers can play every game next season, well, I may not put Cal in the CFP, but I might put them in the Rose Bowl.

Illinois defender Eifler just got ejected for targeting on Cal WR Dancy.

I see what they are trying to do, but even as a Cal fan, I thought the call was iffy at best.

Eifler had been previously ejected for punching a Michigan State player in the butt, so I guess the refs aren’t on the “Benefit of the Doubt” side with this guy.

It’s 35-20 Cal with about 7 minutes to go, but the Illini still have some fight left in them.

Golden Gophers keep digging holes in Auburn’s defense.

Tigers are lucky to only be down 24-17 at halftime, and they get the ball to start the second half.

Good game … Minnesota’s best drive may have been their last one, in which they didn’t score, but picked up something like half a dozen first downs to keep Auburn from ever getting the ball back.

31-24 Gophers.

Wow … Bama scores a meaningless TD with 26 seconds to go, to run their score over Michigan to 35-16.

Harbaugh must be one popular and respected dude in NCAAF coaching circles. :roll_eyes::rofl:

If the Badgers lose this Rose Bowl, they will have only themselves to blame.

1 Like

Good for Oregon, but I think even they would admit that they got some “Duck Luck” in this game.

Baylor showed some life in the second half, but any chance they had of coming back went away when their QB went out with what looked like the fourth (?) concussion of his college career.

It’s too bad it happened at all, but on a late hit out of bounds (that was flagged) … yeah, the Georgia defender was just trying to make a football play, but, not a good look. :face_with_head_bandage:

In case you haven’t seen this yet, the NCAA has a page that keeps track of bowl records by conference. With the two wins yesterday by Alabama and Georgia, the SEC has taken a big lead with a 6-2 record with one left to play. The Big-12 has not done so well.

I don’t put a lot if stock in conference bowl records.

Care to elaborate why?

It kind of seems obvious, but here are the probable top 5

1. Championship Game winner
  2. Championship Game loser
  3. Ohio State
  4. Georgia
  5. Oregon

I figure Alabama, Florida, and Penn State to all land somewhere between 6 and 10. Maybe Oklahoma hangs on to a top 10 spot, too. I don’t know which team rounds out the top 10 … Wisconsin over Baylor?

I don’t put much stock in conference bowl records when it comes to guaging the relative strength or weakness of a conference is what I meant to say.

Well, it obviously matters what other conferences they are playing. For example, for the SEC to go 6-2 given that they played a lot of teams in the Big-10 and Big-12 is an accomplishment. I only wish they had played even one game against a Pac-12 team.

I just think that far too often teams aren’t giving their all for bowl games. In 2009 the Gamecocks qualified for a bowl. They finished 7-5, but had one if the best defenses in the country. Alshon Jeffreys, Eric Norwood, Devin Taylor, Cliff Matthews, Antonio Allen, Melvin Ingram, Stephon Gilmore, Chris Culliver, Darian Stewart, Devonte Holloman and DJ Swearenger were all on that roster

The Huskies boasted Jordan Todman, TE Ryan Griffin and FB Anthony Sherman

All the bowl projections had them going to one of the Florida bowls. Bid day came out and they ended up in Birmingham in the Papajohns Bowl to play U Conn out of the big East. I believe that was Randy Edsels first year there and they very much overachieved. For them going to any bowl was a huge accomplishment.

Birmingham isn’t Florida. There isn’t nearly the number of attractions that would interest a bunch of college aged players. For the Gamecocks being at this bowl was very much a disappointment. The weather there was freezing and rainy the whole week leading up to the game. From many sources in the intervening years, the players were for the most part miserable.

Of course the result was predictable. Carolina came out flat and U Conn took them to the woodshed. I think the final was like 28-7 but it wasn’t even that close.

I just think this type of thing happens multiple times every year. Coaches and coordinators leave, or are lame ducks. Players leave to get ready for the draft. Teams end up in games that are disappointments vs their season expectations. Some coaches use the extra practices to work out young players, essentially giving older/starting players a month long vacation. Its not all that dissimilar to NFL playoff teams not competing the last week of the regular season.

I would like to add: the games can still be fun. I love a close game and especially love an underdog upsetting a favorite. I just finished rooting for Indiana to pull out a win vs Tennessee. I just try not to draw any large conclusions from the outcomes of the bowl games.