Patriots 2019 off-season player transactions

Just to wrap up; spotrac has caught up to most of today’s moves.

Click on the “full screen” button to see all the names.

Edit: You can view the 53-man roster (with contract information) in a reasonably readable format here:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/cap/

1 Like
1 Like

Sorry UT

1 Like

Makes sense that a player who almost made the roster of the current defending champions and perennial contenders since 2001 could be a regular on a team that has really only contended once in that same time period.

I think berrios is going to be a good player. Oh well.

Some updated jersey numbers…

2 Likes

The New England Patriots can start building their 10-player practice squad on Sunday. Here’s a live tracker as the Patriots add to the practice squad:

LB Ufomba Kamalu: He has versatility and size to play an EDGE linebacker or defensive end role. It’s just that he’s never been productive enough to earn a roster spot. (reported by The Athletic’s Jeff Howe)

DE Gerri Green: The rivalry continues? The Patriots poached Green away from the Colts, who drafted the defensive end in the sixth round. Considering his role at Mississippi State, he may actually figure to be an EDGE linebacker in New England’s system. (The Indy Star’s Joel Erickson)

TE Stephen Anderson: A tight end who told Patriots Wire last week that he prides himself on his pass-catching ability. He was banged-up during training camp and preseason, but has focused on improving his blocking abilities to be more well-rounded. (NESN’s Doug Kyed)

LB Terez Hall: Hall is a high-effort linebacker who is aggressive — though he may lack the necessary awareness. He might figure into the special teams game in the future. (NESN’s Doug Kyed)

LB Calvin Munson: There may be a roster spot for Munson down the line. He proved in the preseason he can hold his own on defense and special teams. Bill Belichick rewards those kinds of contributions. (The Athletic’s Jeff Howe)

T Tyree St. Louis: A developmental tackle for Dante Scarnecchia to mold. (NESN’s Doug Kyed)

FB Jakob Johnson: A product of the international exchange program, Johnson played fullback and linebacker in preseason.

DL Nick Thurman: The 3-4 defensive end flashed potential during training camp practices and during preseason.

1 Like

I just took this snap of part of the Patriots’ salary cap page at Spotrac.

Here is another page on Spotrac that shows minimum salaries for active players:

So, each practice squad player is making less than 30% of league minimum for rookies. Their $136k salaries ($8500 for each of the 16 games) is nothing to sneeze at, but those salaries are not guaranteed.

I wonder what each player makes during training camp.

1 Like

Excellent moves, both of them. I love that D. Thomas is back.

1 Like

So that was why they “released” DT.

Wicked clevahh bastids …

2 Likes
3 Likes

so a 300K raise to take the cut and not leave town, seems like a wise move by Patriots.

2 Likes

Two additions to the Practice Squad, and one subtraction, straight from Patriots.com:

Poor Tyree lasted exactly one day. I wonder if he showed up 10 minutes late, or something.

Also, in the Random Thoughts thread I stated that the Patriots had burnt $16.8 Million worth of cap on non-roster players. Upon further review, I’ve underestimated that number; which is closer to $24.6 Million:

1 Like

I can’t look at it in depth now…how are you arrivibg at that 24 mil number?

I’m looking at the difference (in the right column) between the second-to-last “Total” line (about $191.4M) and the “All Contracts” line (about $166.8M). That works out to be about $24.6M between them.

If you add up all the figures from “Reserve/Suspended” to “Practice Squad” in that last column, you should get the same number.

I think the only part of that 24 mil that’s really important is the dead cap money (about 9 mil) , which is money the team has paid or is committed to pay guys who they’ve already cut or traded. This is basically money you pay guys to play for other teams, or to just go away.

Every team will carry 10 practice squad guys. So that’s a wash.

I don’t consider guys who are hurt or suspended as non roster players. Ben Watson or David Andrews or NKeal Harry may not be on the active roster but they aren’t really non roster players IMO. A non roster player to me is Gronk (2 mil dead cap) or Adrian Clayborn (2 mil dead cap)

Also the 9 mil the Patriots have in dead money is kind of middle of the pack compared to other teams, and a far far cry from teams like the Dolphins (50 mil) Cardinals (35 mil) and Giants (35 mil)

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Well, I guess it’s a matter of definitions. If you were to ask BB, the only players he would care about in the short term are the 53 he can put on the field next game to “make plays on Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.”

I understand that in the long term, the cap space taken up by IR, suspended, released, and practice squad players is a necessary evil. I was just pointing out that in the short term, even the best team in the league is burning $24.6 Million of that space on players who can’t get on the field in a meaningful game.

First I’m not arguing with you. Its just an interesting discussion.:slight_smile:

I guess my thought is the context that 24 mil carries. Is that a high number compared to other teams?

And whether it is or it isn’t, the guys who make up a sizable percentage of that 24 mil number are hurt guys. Injuries are random. So that makes a big part of that number random.

And every 24 mil isn’t the same. If every guy on the Patriots IR and PUP list miraculously got 100% healthy tomorrow, but a certain 41 year old QB got hurt and put on the IR that 24 mil number would actually be reduced to 21.5 mil, but it would mean a very different thing to the franchise.

In the end the only number that really matters for this season is the available cap space. Of which the Patriots have about 8 mil. So if a mid level vet suddenly becomes available or the injury bug hits they have the space to sign a guy or three.

Either way lets play some fucking football. :skull::dash::fire::fire::alien::crown::fireworks::fireworks::ghost: