Last book you read and rate it.

I had an amazing and beautiful teacher have us read it and study the movie afterwards when I was a freshman at a private school.

She was a Mormon so it always struck me funny that she taught Stephen King in English class what with all her stories about amazing root beer keggers at BYU and all. :rofl::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

1 Like

Hahaha that is strange! Not that his stuff is like super sexual or super hard to watch or read but it is pretty graphic. That is surprising a bit.

They used to light up the whole grounds of the LDS Temple in Mesa Arizona for Christmas ā€¦ probably still do.

Whenever I went there, they would have the prettiest 17-21 year old white girls Iā€™ve ever seen since that ā€œCastle Anthraxā€ scene in Monty Python, just roaming the grounds answering questions about their faith.

It was kind of like ā€œjoin our Church and you might get a wife as hot as me, for all eternity,ā€ or something.

1 Like

The Flash 750

10/10

A one off shot of three stories. Barry is going to battle his friend turned killer August Heart (Godspeed) in the next issue because he is under control from the main villain Paradox. Beautiful art in this issue, and two side stories of Captain Cold and a new edition of the Flash issue 105 from 1959. Such a cool issue

ht

Finally finished this book. Iā€™ve been posting lots of stuff about the Berlin Wall lately, now you know why.

It kind of skipped around a lot; the author (Iain MacGregor) tried to provide some political, military, and personal perspectives on the Wall and its place in history. For the most part, he succeeded.

Iā€™m glad I read it. I wonder what other historians think about his take that JFK and the Allies could have stopped the Wallā€™s construction in its tracks had they shown some stugots and sent military bulldozers and personnel to prevent its construction in the first place. MacGregor makes the claim that, in the first days when they began putting up barbed wire, most of the East German soldiers and Volkspolizei guarding the border didnā€™t even have live ammunition in their weapons.

3 Likes

Sounds interesting man. I need to get into more reading like that. But comics is about all I can read lol. I zone out too much during a long book. If itā€™s really good I can get through it but would have to be the right bolk

For books like this, I find it useful to try to find maps of the area, so when they mention a place name, I can look it up.

Itā€™s not usually as simple as looking up on Google Maps, neither, because places like this tend to change fairly quickly after events as global as the fall of the Berlin Wall.

For example, I read this book a few years back called Isaacā€™s War about the Warsaw Jewish Ghetto uprising against the Nazis, and I ended up exchanging emails with the author about how I had to scan the map he provided with the book and overlay it with Google Earth to figure out where stuff is today.

The train station the Nazis built at the edge of the ghetto (to haul Jews away to the Death Camp) and all the tracks were demolished, and an apartment/condo complex was built on top of the land. There is a memorial to the train station near that complex, but ā€¦ you think you have problems with ghosts? :ghost:

2 Likes

Ya I think something like that would be cool, almost liike you are living the book finding maps and such. Never had to do that with comics. They have pictures. I think thatā€™s my problem, I donā€™t have a good enough imagination to picture what is going on in the book. Thatā€™s why I like comics, pictures. You donā€™t have to try and imagine it. Itā€™s done for you I guess hahaha

Power rangers ninja turtle cross over.

8/10 so far for issues 1 and 2

Been a very good storyline. Tommy for whatever reason is under mind control of shredder. Shredder wants him to steal the rest of the Rangers morphers so shredder can use them as weapons and control the world. Been a good one so far

Local Libraries are temporarily closed, but they are still lending out eBooks online.

Still waiting for someone to return this one, so I can borrow it:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve read it twice. The first time was when I was 13 cuz my dad was fascinated by Hitler and the second time as an adult when I actually understood it. LOL

Iā€™ve read this one before. Kershaw seems to be the Hitler expert these days.

2 Likes

You guys read such grown up books

Maybe I should try this.

2 Likes

:rofl: :heart:

1 Like

If you canā€™t connect it to anything you care about, it will bore the crap out of you.

I took Russian in high school, and my Jewish ancestors in Russia and Poland fled to America to escape the Tsarist pogroms, so Iā€™m interested in the Romanovs.

I had a grand-uncle who fought the Nazis, and a home I once owned was originally owned by a decorated hero of the Free French Air Force, so Iā€™m interested in the Nazis.

I spent a week in Berlin, during which I visited the Checkpoint Charlie Museum, so Iā€™m interested in the Wall.

Maybe thereā€™s a hard-to-believe story about a hockey player that would inspire you to read it cover to cover?

Maybe thereā€™s a decent biography of Stan Lee out there?

Horses for courses ā€¦ you gotta find your own Kentucky Derby.

3 Likes

Valid point! Well said.

Iā€™ve read plenty of novels 4 or 5 pages at a time.

But in the end Mr Sprock is right. Read what interests you. Most of what I read is sci fi/fantasy pulp. Its not great literature. But its what I like.

I canā€™t remember where I read it but some author of some book I read wrote in the forward once something to this effect:

ā€œThanks to my dad for inspiring me to read, not by any active encouragement, but by reading insatiably himself. I wanted to know what was so damn interesting in those booksā€

Reading is by far the best way for kids to build language skills. Kids learn by watching. They donā€™t learn to be a safe driver by you telling them to drive safely. They learn by watching you drive safely.

So donā€™t apologize for what you choose to read. Youā€™re a dad now. Learn that kid up.

3 Likes

may I suggest

2 Likes

both my kids read, I wish I could take all the credit but their cousins were never seen without a book in their hands and they baby sat for me so they wanted to be like them.

2 Likes

Well said! Then I shall continue my power ranger Muahahahahah!!!