Red Sox State of the Union

Time to take a long look in the mirror at the 2023 Boston Red Sox.

With 100 games to play, they are 31-31 and in last place in the AL East

They are 5 games out of a Wild Card spot and would have to leap at least 3 teams to get into the last spot.

As things shake out, do we feel they should be buyers or sellers at the deadline?

3 Likes

It’s so hard to say… This is almost an exact repeat of last year… They had a nice 9 or 10 game winning streak last year and then stunk the rest of the way. We are doing the same right now. I think we are something like 8-16 in our last 24 games. They is good enough for 3rd or 4th last in the entire league in that stretch. I think this is who the Sox are… Average offense, and average pitching. I think we should be buyers still (the homer in me thinking we can still make playoffs) adding another strong arm or two to the offense and getting Duvall back will really help this team. We also need another starting pitcher with Sale out as usual.

But the realist in me says we should sell and keep rebuilding as we just aren’t near good enough to make the playoffs right now especially with how competitive the division is.

3 Likes

Like Tyler mentioned it’s a difficult call. I want to see where they’re at going into the all-star break. Right now I’m leaning towards sellers.

3 Likes

Agreed Jack.

3 Likes

I don’t think they have enough pitching in their system to be buyers. Bloom is here to rebuild the system and that’s pretty much that. I think they will be sellers and that likely means guys like Kike and Verdugo could be on the block.

And I chuckled at the Kenley Jansen signing but now I like it because A) if they Sox could compete, you need a closer, but B) now he is likely a trade a commodity.

3 Likes

Well, said Stan

2 Likes

Sell! Sell! Sell!

3 Likes

What Stan said.

2 Likes

UPDATE: 71 games to play, 2 games out of the WC spot (would need to leap over two (possibly 3 teams) in a tightly contested spot for the 2nd and 3rd WC between Houston, Toronto and the Yankees.

Three upcoming series against sub-.500 teams, followed by four against +.500 teams.

How are we feeling today?

3 Likes

Nobody knows how to feel. This team can win 10 in a row over great teams, and lose 10 in a row over shit teams… End of the day I think it’s too hard to predict with this team… We are close to a playoff spot, so don’t sell… Keep trying to make playoffs. With that said, I wouldn’t be surprised if this team lost 7 or 8 in a row and fell way out of contention lol. We have been weird all year. Every time I guess what this team will do, they go in a complete opposite direction. Hopefully they can win these next 3 series.

3 Likes

Glass is half full. They’re gonna do it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think they’ll be in the hunt for a WC & get in.

2 Likes

Kike has been shipped off to the Dodgers.

2 Likes

4:26pm: The Sox are receiving Nick Robertson and Justin Hagenman , tweets Jeff Passan of ESPN. Chris Cotillo of MassLive had first suggested both pitchers were potentially in the deal.

2 Likes

What the hell?

2 Likes

Kike’s been on a steady decline the last two seasons (his OBP was .291 last year, it’s .279 this year). That is “you’re lucky to be a major leaguer” bad. Sadly, I can’t think of a single position where he should be playing over someone else.

This is also not an indicator that they are going to be sellers and not buyers at the deadline. I’ll take the prospects in this case. Thanks for the memories and the new hat, Kike. Best of luck in LA.

3 Likes

I wish you the best, Kiké. I’ll miss your shoes.

2 Likes

Brutal news. I will miss Kike!

3 Likes

It’s so funny because, by every measure, the Sox are looking to add pitching at the deadline - which would make them buyers. Yet there are crazy rumors tying Adam Duvall to Atlanta.

Probably just a lot of noise but the varying rumors are quite contradictory.

3 Likes

The dudes on MLBN were talking about that last night

2 Likes