Patriots sign Newton

1 Like
3 Likes

Works for me. I’m excited to see what he can do.

2 Likes

Ya I figured he would. I think he was defeated in Carolina last couple years. He will be totally different in New England.

1 Like

Change can bring new life to a player, I hope that is the case for newton

2 Likes

Absolutely! I still think there is some of that MVP year in Cam. If anyone can buckle him down and bring it out it’s BB, and the Pats organization. Would be cool to see him win comeback player of the year.

1 Like

Newton hit it during a YouTube show with Odell Beckham Jr., Victor Cruz and Todd Gurley that posted on Monday.

The hour-long program jumps from topic to topic and it’s not until about the 34-minute mark where Newton begins discussing joining the Patriots.

After a little talk about motivation (we knew he was motivated) and perceived disrespect (also knew that), Newton hit on actual football and succeeding Tom Brady in what I thought was the meatiest part of the piece.

“We have to talk about the elephant in the room,” said Newton. “And it’s like, ‘You know who you coming after?’ And it’s like, ‘Yeah. Great.’

“What he was, what he is? Is great. Needs no … even … talking about it.

“But one thing about it though, ‘Coach (Josh) McDaniels, you able to call some stuff you ain’t ever been able to call now. You getting a dog. You getting one of these ticked off dogs too, that like bruh.”

Newton began pretending to read off a sheet of paper.

“And I’m looking at the schedule like, “Who we playing? THAT team passed on me. THAT team passed on me, they coulda came and got me. THEY hollered at me. I even asked my agent, like, ‘Yo what’s up with …” Bro. I’m gonna take this time with the COVID and I’m gonna commit to myself.”

Newton also related how he got the news the Patriots were coming after him.

“My agent hit me, I was — no cap — I was working out and he was like, ‘Hey man, we just got interest from a team.’

“And I’m like, ‘OK, who?’

“And he was like New ENGLAND …”

The camera cuts to Beckham, who sits up straight in his chair.

Newton continued, “I said, ‘Hold on. How, how is me and Belichick gonna mesh? You know what I’m saying?’ ”

“That was the first thing I thought!” Cruz interjected.

“Because it’s like perception…” said Newton.

OBJ then cut in with a minute-long verbal journey to nowhere before concluding with, “So for me, watching you and now to feel that vindication and to be going to Belichick, there is no, like, ‘How is it gonna work?’ For me, all he wanna do is put you in a position to succeed and I’m happy to see it.”

2 Likes

WCVB Channel 5 Boston

52m ·

The Patriots’ new quarterback has officially arrived in New England! Cam Newton was spotted at Logan Airport in Boston earlier tonight 🏈❤️ (📸 Anthony Tavano) https://bit.ly/2OQifrs

1 Like

Michael jackson would have been proud of Newtons style hahahaha.

I am so glad he decided to blend in and not draw attention to himself

“As a player, think about it – if I’m Devin McCourty and I just lose Tom Brady and all of a sudden in the offseason I’m like, ‘What the heck is this Jarrett Stidham gonna do? As a defense, do we really have to be the No. 1 defense in the league to win now?’" he said on Pro Football Talk. "Then all of a sudden Cam Newton signs, you’re like, ‘Holy crap. We have a legitimate chance. Like, we can win this division.’ You automatically forget about Tom Brady and you feel like you can give yourself a really legitimate chance of winning that division and getting back into the playoffs and having success.”

3 Likes

He has a flash shirt on!!! Neat!!!

1 Like
2 Likes

Won’t lie. I do find Newton entertaining

1 Like

Cam and his new receiving core…

3 Likes
2 Likes

“Yeah, he’s been great. A lot of great energy,” offensive guard Joe Thuney said Wednesday in a video conference with reporters. “Just works hard so far. It’s been great to meet him and everything, and looking forward to seeing what happens.”

Others are excited to have Newton aboard for more selfish reasons.

“It feels good to have more Auburn guys than (Alabama) guys now,” Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones said Wednesday in his virtual media session.

Newton and Jones join quarterback Jarrett Stidham and wide receiver Will Hastings as the four Auburn Tigers on New England’s roster, surpassing the Patriots’ three Alabama players in Dont’a Hightower, Damien Harris and Anfernee Jennings.

Jones didn’t overlap with Newton at Auburn – he arrived on campus in 2012, while Newton’s lone season was in 2010 – but has spoken with the Heisman Trophy winner in the past. In fact, Jones admitted Newton’s success at Auburn was a big reason why he picked the Tigers as a high school recruit.

“I could see (he was) the face of the program,” Jones said. “… Just the foundation that they were laying with that program – when he was there it was definitely a turning point for Auburn. So as a junior coming out (of high school) and going to those recruiting visits and watching them play and seeing that foundation, it meant a lot to me coming out.”

Now that he and Newton are teammates, Jones says he’s “excited to have him” in New England and “ready to get to work.” Even if the Patriots aren’t quite sure what that work will look like.

“We’ve been so limited in what we can do outside,” Thuney said when asked what “new elements” Newton can bring to the Patriots’ offense. “It’s so early, I’m not entirely sure.”

1 Like

Cam will have his first media availability today since being signed.

I just caught all of Cam’s first appearance. He is very positive, and appears to have partaken of the Kool-aid. Didn’t say anything he shouldn’t, and he is ready to compete every day. Is a self-motivator.

He is also a Vegan. :flushed:

Stidham is on now.

1 Like