10.26. 21 Game 1 World Series game thread: Braves(Charlie Morton) @ Houston(Framber Valdez) 8:00 Fox

Oh boy… good luck Muse :frowning:

3 Likes

Little worried about Muse & her bird situation. It’s not like her to be gone so long without an update.

3 Likes

Hope your birdie is okay, Musie.

Busy day for me. I had a few appointments this afternoon. Now all settled in and waiting for the game.

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone.

Just warning you this is a very long post. But for me to explain what happened I had to explain some things.

Let me give some background information. The very first clutch my rescued birds laid there was just one egg. I thought I would hand rear it that way you know it’s friendly toward us, that I can pick up the bird easy with no stress, check the bird out and you know more social and enjoyable. I failed miserably and I lost the bird. That’s scarred me, the second clutch I didn’t do that. Nye is from that clutch.

So anytime I need to do maintenance around the cage or on him it’s very stressful and he gets agitated. Toenails were very long where he was having problems walking so I had to trim them just for his safety and so you know he can move around. But since he’s not friendly I have to go in with a towel, cover him, turn him over with one hand, have cutting instrument in the other, make sure I’m not getting a blood vessel, and clip him and have flour nearby in case I need to clog any bleeding.

So this afternoon I did it did his nails and and placed back in the bottom cage but he was very unhappy. So now he’s sitting at the bottom of the cage. Now he’s been doing that a couple of times but I’ve been watching all the things you need to watch for when you have a bird in the house. You guys probably know this fact: by the time you find out a bird is sick it is already too late because that is a defense mechanism in the wild.

So he’s at the bottom of his cage, now he’s not a spring chicken, and he has wear and tear. So now I’m thinking did I get a vessel a blood vessel but I looked, nothing. I give him food and he’s not eating food. So now I’m thinking to the days where he was in the corner and maybe you know this is his time. Starting to cry but trying to remain calm and realizing you know he’s had a very good life, he’s a very happy little boy and you know I’m trying to prepare myself.

I pull out a lamp. When birds are sick or not feeling well a heat lamp helps them. So I pulled out my lamp put it by his cage and I just sat by his cage for a couple hours. He won’t let me touch him. This is not new. He’s still being sassy. So that gives me encouragement. I threw some food by him but he wasn’t eating. So now I’m thinking this is it. And I decide right then and there I was going to stay there until very end he wasn’t going to go alone.

I put up a video on YouTube that has 12 hours of cockatiels and other birds singing. It’s from a man who has an aviary. Nye really likes this video.

Then I realized I didn’t put the food near him. So I take some food I put it right by him and he starts to eat and he starts to eat a lot. Well, Nye portions.

He is still not moving but he’s alert and he’s eating. I move a little bit from the cage but I am still where he could see me. Now I had move him into my office to where I could view him. I’m moving him back into the other room where Jasper is. My thinking is well if this is it he has his buddy there, he has his cartoons on TV, trying to make it as calm with things he likes.

I been rescuing birds since 1998. So I have been trying to think of everything that has happened in that time frame that I can draw from.

Then it finally dawn on me that he was stressed out from me doing his nails and this was his way of going to the corner to calm down.

So I give him some space and I sit on the couch and I’m just watching him trying not to get in his face. As much as I want to be in his face, you know?

But now he’s moving about, he has drunk some of his water, he has gone back down for more food. And some of the best signs for a bird that’s ok is he has started to groom his feathers and sang a tune.

But my very favorite thing is when I tell him he’s a pretty bird and he’s just a sweet bird he will show me his full feathers stretched out and he will show me his tail. And he just did that.

I hate to stress him out with the nails but it’s one of those necessary evils he and I have to go through.

Sorry this is soo long.

Of all the birds I have rescued, Nye is a/ the son of my very first rescued pair and b/ one of my sweetest with his personality, his attitude, and his sweetness even though he is so darn sassy.

Thanks, everyone.

(The vet is far, I was getting him ready to go for the record)

3 Likes

Man, Musie what an ordeal. That broke my heart to read. So he’s doing okay now, right.? Also you know even from a great distance all of us are here for you.

3 Likes

Here is the little sassy one.

I do, Jack. :heart::heart::heart:

I would never written something this long on a forum if I didn’t feel comfortable doing it especially with details . I know I can here. He is fine. Just glad I can chill now.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the story, Muse. Hugs, Nye! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

:rofl:

2 Likes

What a beautiful bird. Do NOT let Tyler arrest him

2 Likes

Thank you :heart:

That was so funny!

But he has to go through me.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Bad enough we have to listen to Buck but this guy too.

dad19d2b565bef82702ba3c285fbb878

2 Likes

Joolz, how to did you tolerate Buck hosting Jeopardy?

2 Likes

He was surprisingly not that bad :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Did you have a fav guest host?

2 Likes

Lets go Braves.

2 Likes

I liked Mike Richards (he got canned) and Mayim Bialik (currently hosting)

2 Likes

Ugh. Orange rags :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Double ugh

2 Likes

Buck, A-Rod and rags.

I miss Eck.

1 Like