Sox ink Trevor Story (6 years, $140 million)

While a definitive upgrade at 2B (and long-term insurance for Bogaerts), the jury’s out on this one for me. His home/road splits while playing 50% of his games at Coors don’t exactly shed the stigma of Rockies players’ inflated stats.

However, Fenway can be heaven for RHH’s, so fingers crossed that he will at least continue to rake at home, even if he is pedestrian on the road.

I also like that this allows Hernandez to remain focused on his OF play. Tentative thumbs-up from me.

3 Likes

Thanks for this, 3PS.

3 Likes

Wow huge signing!! Great player !!

4 Likes

Fantastic! Very excited about this.

2 Likes

Someone in the know tell me about this?! What does he bring etc?

3 Likes

There he is!

3 Likes

Roberto, this is 3PS’s post from the beginning of the thread.

3 Likes

He lead the Rockies with runs and hits. He’s a power hitter. A massive asset and a good fielder. Super good signing !!

3 Likes

Much awesome in this post. YAY!

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Excellent! I think I’ll resubscribe to MLB TV again. Look forward to following the Sox.

3 Likes

I have NSEN so am GRATEFUL so I can watch our boys.

2 Likes

A lucrative multi-year contract between the Boston Red Sox and free agent Trevor Story almost never materialized because the star shortstop was reluctant to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, sources told Jeff Passan of ESPN.

However, Story’s six-year, $140-million deal was finalized Wednesday after he reportedly agreed to get vaccinated Tuesday.

“It’s a very personal matter. Decisions like that are kept between me and my family,” Story said. “But with that being said, I’ll be available for my teammates (for) a 162-plus (games). That’s the main part.”

Meanwhile, teams around the majors have used border restrictions in Canada to motivate players to get vaccinated for the 2022 campaign, according to Passan. Unvaccinated players are currently unable to cross the border and won’t be able to suit up for games due to travel restrictions.

Unvaccinated players on the New York Yankees and New York Mets were previously ineligible to play home games under the current private-sector employer mandate. However, New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced an exemption Thursday allowing unvaxxed professional athletes to participate in home contests.

1 Like