Red Sox 2019 Off Season

1 Like

Well whenever we get new management we win a World Series. So here we go. Lol

3 Likes

Jason’s wife on him becoming the next manager.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2020/01/16/catherine-jason-varitek-red-sox-manager?event=event51&fbclid=IwAR1uv6aKMV6NpIciDEuJw7Dt57YL9QMnV2bj0FovYsrokCsZ5CLdNtePR6A

1 Like

Just quickly read Dusty’s Wiki page and saw much criticism, FWIW :woman_shrugging:

I don’t remember him winning a WS as a manager.

And it seemed like the Nats finally got over the top about a year or two after he left.

On the other hand, I doubt he would be daunted at all by those media bastids in Bahstun.

Yeah, I was thinking that it may be better to bring someone with experience in to deal with this shitshow so late in the off-season than to throw Tek into the fire this year.

Dusty Baker?

2 Likes

Lol I don’t know much about him. Give him a chance. If he fails
 boot his ass out the door like Valentine.

Sorry, we don’t need another Bobby Valentine experiment.

Valentine

2 Likes

Agreed with that Joolz! That was one awful year lol.

1 Like

He is notoriously anti-analytics and has a reputation for overusing starting pitchers.

1 Like

If Belichick and Saban are against “Arbitrary numbers in space” I can get behind that stance.

I think most of us want Tek. I just don’t wanna see him thrown into this fire.

Well, that sounds awful because our pictures dial by the end of the season so maybe this isn’t such a good idea. I would hate for Chris sale to burn out again

I would wager that both Belichick and Saban use analytics far more than they let on. They just call it “exploiting their opponents trndencues”. Its a newish trend in college football to hire out of work coaches as analysts to break down game and practice film (because schools are only allowed 10 on field coaches) The school that really pushed this trend to the forefront? Alabama. Ex Miami and Tennessee head coach Butch Jones was on Alabama’s staff last year as an off field analyst.

I also think baseball lends itself to mathematical analysis more than football. Baseball is full of one on one matchups and single player events. Football is about 11 players performing in unison. It is much more individually quantifiable than football. There also 10 times as many games to collect data.

I’m not saying that a manager should be a slave to statistics. But in this age of data collection and analysis not taking advantage of them is short sighted. Baker could very well have changed his stance on all of this. But why risk it? The guy is 70 and there are a million other candidates.

Any way I just had the greatest idea ever: Rotating celebrity managers.

I see Billy McMillons name being tossed around. He seemed like a stand up guy that time he gave my son a hitting lesson.