2020 Off-season Thread

1 Like

Ah, yeah, doesn’t look like Devlin’s making it back from his neck injury. Tough injury for a FB.

I didn’t realize his injury was that bad. Too bad they couldn’t get in on Derek Watt.

1 Like

Ugh. I didn’t realize the Steelers paid him that much. 3 years over 9 mil.

Pats close to signing FB Danny Vitale (who ?)

Oh.

I assumed Vitale was your typical run blocking FB guy. But he is more of a H back than a true FB. Think Kyle Jusczek. Vitals was actually a TE in college. Went to Northwestern, so he is smart.

Here are some college highlights. I have to admit I’m pleasantly surprised. With the lack of TE on the current roster, Vitale could fill a roll as an H back type.

https://youtu.be/JeKI9mm_ZZY

Man I watched that Vitale highlight reel again and the guy is pretty impressive. Granted its just highlight reel of a dozen plays. NW lined him up as a FB and as move TE. Looked like he caught the ball naturally and made a couple of nice concentration catches. Adjusted to balls thrown over the wrong shoulder. Wheel routes from the backfield and seam and crossing routes from the slot. Looks like a guy who could be a matchup problem for opposing defenses. Hasn’t been used much in the pros (15 touches over 4 years) but BB does have a history of finding gold in other coaches trash heap.

The fact he has done almost nothing in the NFL is kinda worrisome

Yeah I’m not saying he us going to be some sort of super stud. But with the limited budget the Patriots are working with this off season and the lack of proven passing game weapons (especially at TE) he is an intriguing guy.

His downside is that he is limited athletically. He isn’t big enough to be a true TE. But the Patriots were lining up Develin out wide some with some positive results, and Vitale has been doing that since college.

His upside is his versatility, over achieving work ethic and intelligence. He is reportedly a good locker room guy and vocal team leader. He is another guy who can be a check down safety blanket for a first time starting QB.

I think we are actually going to see the Studham era begin…

1 Like

I hope so I wanna see what the kid can do

1 Like

to hell with Winston!!

1 Like

Sometimes, this just bears repeating:

If BB wants him, then BB must see some potential in him that other NFL Teams don’t.

Which is what BB does.

2 Likes

Mike Vrabel had that sack of Bledsoe in the playoffs for Pittsburgh but was a role player before Bill made him into a beast.

Similar to Nink, long snapper until Bill used him correctly.

It happen , it’s rare but it does happen.

2 Likes

Dan Vitale NFL Draft 2016: Scouting Report, Grade for Buccaneers Rookie

POSITIVES

One of the most enjoyable players in all of college football to scout, Dan Vitale is an athletic freak. He wowed at the combine with 4.6 speed and 30 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press but then had everyone going crazy with a 38 ½-inch vertical jump. His 4.12-second short shuttle was also an eye-opener.

That type of athleticism opens doors for what Vitale can be in the NFL. He’s athletic enough to run the ball in short-yardage and goal-line situations and smart enough to handle blocking assignments in the backfield or as a lead blocker in the run game.

With 135 receptions during his career at Northwestern, Vitale is a natural to be used in the passing game. He can take swing passes and turn them into big plays with the footwork, quickness and power to run over cornerbacks on the edge. He’ll sell a play-action fake and make himself a big target in front of linebackers over the middle of the field.

Positional versatility will be a huge sell for Vitale, who can play in a single-back offense, at fullback and at H-back and be a star on special teams.

NEGATIVES

Vitale may be a jack-of-all-trades but a master of none. He was moved around often enough at Northwestern that he never developed a go-to skill set at any one area. As a lead blocker, he has to get stronger and add bulk to secure blocks against linebackers with strength and not just force.

With the size of a big running back but the foot speed of a fullback, Vitale may be too much of a tweener to have an active role in the pros.

COMBINE RESULTS

Height: 6’1"

Weight: 239 lbs.

40 Time: 4.60s

3-Cone: 7.12s

Short Shuttle: 4.12s

PRO COMPARISON: Kyle Juszczyk, Baltimore Ravens
FINAL GRADE: 5.40/9.00 (Round 7—Backup Caliber)

1 Like

As a backup, hell yeah.

Over the Cap says we don’t have enough room to sign Hoyer. Under the new CBA, league minimum for a veteran player with 7+ years in the NFL is $1.05M in 2020.

They could cut Cody Kessler and save 910k vs the cap with no dead money.

2 Likes

1 Like