2019 Hurricane Season

I’ve just realized that Dorian is a he. For some reason, I thought that was a girl’s name. :slight_smile:

Anyway, that bastid has strengthened to Category 3, and he is currently sitting off the coast of South Carolina near its border with Georgia.

Honestly, I don’t know if we’re worse off overall with a Hurricane that comes ashore and wrecks one place, or a Hurricane that walks up the shore, strafes a lot of places, and maintains its strength longer because it can still draw fresh power from the water of the ocean.

My brother and his family are riding it out in North Myrtle Beach, SC. A tornado was spotted a few miles from them a couple hours ago.

1 Like

Scary. Hope everything is ok. Glad I live in a city Province where we don’t have those. Those tornados come through once and a while.

1 Like

scary stuff, hope all are safe.

1 Like

Dorian is down to mid-Category 2, but I don’t think he’s officially made US landfall yet. It looks like he is projected to cross one of the Capes (Hatteras?) in North Carolina, then head further out to sea.

1 Like

They are fine, thanks. Wind and rain and no loss of power.

1 Like

Fear not, our President is making sure Alabama is in the path!

Not exactly Alabama, but … I doubt Nova Scotians started this year thinking they would be part of Hurricane Season. Dorian is expected to still be a Hurricane when he strikes that Province.

I hadn’t been following this all day, but I just checked the most recent map, and Dorian has strengthened to a Category 2 “Post Tropical Cyclone,” and has struck Nova Scotia near Halifax. I wonder what the record is for highest latitude while sustaining Hurricane-force winds.

Still at Category 1. Headed for Newfoundland.

Well, the NHC has issued their last advisory on Dorian, who has finally headed out to open ocean. They issued a total of 64 … that’s got to be close to the record.

Hurricane Lorena has made landfall on the resort-heavy Baja California peninsula, at Category 1.

Lorenzo Cane

The Brewers outfielder is throwing a hissy fit out in the Atlantic ocean.

Lorenzo may turn out to be a threat to … Ireland???

Narda struck southwestern Mexico as a Tropical Storm.

These storms tend to cause a lot more damage in Mexico, because neither their physical infrastructure nor their government response play in the same league as the USA. I mean, FEMA is far from perfect, but …

1 Like

As the NHC predicted, Narda (literally) lost some steam over land and downgraded to a Tropical Depression.

They are predicting that Narda strengthens over water and becomes a Tropical Storm before making landfall again further up the Mexican coast.

I hadn’t even noticed Nestor, but he has been spawning Tornadoes in Florida.